Again, while I was on a business trip, the builders added the framing for the new addition up front! This is going to be the guest bedroom, as seen from just inside the door. To the left you can see what will become the large walk-in closet for the master bedroom. Just beyond the closet, on the left, is another bathroom. At the far end of the room towards will be the location of the closet for the guest room.
This is the shower in the master bathroom, with the steam unit on the right. Gotta have a steam shower! And yes, that window is high enough to not provide the neighbors with a "show".
Inside the new master bathroom. The builder had to work hard to get that high vaulted ceiling right.
This is the view of the house from what will be the back door, showing how much the house has been opened up. You can see the large beams that have been added to support the house. The kitchen has been opened up. To the right, where there used to be a single large bathroom, there is now a smaller restroom to the right, and what will become a wine room to the left. The door opening to what used to be an office will be closed up. This part of the house we are standing in will become a library, complete with cozy fireplace and secret compartments, as every library needs to have.
A close-up of some of the work done in the kitchen. There is more new than old here! All the electrical and plumbing is done, and we're ready for insulation.
We decided to rebuild the brick pillars. After 90 years, they were showing their age. We actually built a tapered Craftsman style pillar, and discovered that the brick pillar was skew!! And suddenly I realized why the previous restoration had chosen [incorrect] circular columns... much easier to hide a skew base! So we started over, reusing the original bricks of course. You can also see that the stained glass "windows" added in the previous restoration were "fake". We will not be putting those back on, but will add a REAL stained glass window in the attic for the new addition up top. You can also see some of the new paint being tested in this shot. However, the painter got the paint of the trim mixed up.... The eggplant and white bits will be reversed. The main color is a grey with a bit of purple, and the new roof has hints of green in it.
Here we can see the start to the rebuilding of the rear pillar. The original bricks were saved, and will be used to rebuild the pillar to last another 90 years,