posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:16 AM by Mark Rieves
The Flores Family is very grateful for all the support they have received and they send a great big "thanks" to everyone!
Flores Family in the 5300 Block of Miller Avenue experienced a devastating fire the morning of December 13, 2011.
Fortunately, there were no serious injuries. The
fire started around 5:30
that morning. The Flores were dog-sitting a cousin’s Maltese terrier.
It was this tiny dog who awoke one of the Flores
ladies by jumping on her chest and scratching her. Once awake, she was able to rouse the others
in the home and they were all able to escape.
As the fire grew, the flames hit an oxygen tank (prescribed for one of
the family members).
the 6 residents of the home are staying with various relatives throughout the
city. Their goal is to stay in Vickery Place as it
will enable their youngest daughter, Natalie, to stay at North Dallas
High. Plus, the huge outpouring of
support has endeared Vickery Place
more than ever to the family.
Vickery Place NA gathered gifts for the Flores family from our
neighborhood, sister neighborhoods, former VP residents and North Dallas High. To-date these gifts total almost $5200 plus clothing,
home products (detailed list below). Special thanks to:
- Claire Oliver and the staff and students of North
Dallas High whose own collection brought in almost $800 of cash/gift
- Our sister neighborhoods including Belmont Area
Conservation District and Lakewood
- Danny Linn and former Vickery Place residents
- Tom Henderson of Downing Hill
- Ken Lampton
- Linda Mitchell
- Patrick & Melissa Angel
Cook Book, Shelia Huffman & Kathy Harris
- North Dallas High alumni
And a most special thanks
to the residents of Vickery Place for sharing whatever they can with a family
very much in need!
Collection Effort - Final Results
Cash / Gift Cards Received:
- Checks, cash, and online contributions totaling $3,200
- Gift cards for Kroger, WalMart, etc. totaling $1,065
- North Dallas High School collection of $800 in cash and a gift card
- Food Stuffs – assorted canned goods and pantry items
- Paper products – paper towel (single roll), shop clothes (1 box), paper plates (2
stacks), foil, wax paper, bathroom tissue (2x12 pack), foil pans (2)
– shampoo (3), soap (8), razor (3), shaving cream (1), men’s lotion (1),
deodorant (2), Q tips, scented body lotion (4), toothpaste (3), hair brushes
(2), toothbrushes (8)
- Linens –
pillow (1 large, 2 throw), sheet, blanket (1), afghans (2), towels (6), place
– 10-piece cutlery set (in wood case), small dinner set, disposable plastic
containers, waffle maker
– warm sweaters (5), 1 men’s t-shirt, assorted shoes; Vickery Place T Shirts
(5), ladies tops (20), ladies pants (2), mens fleece (1), mens oxford shirt
(1), mens slacks (3), Uniform Shirts for Natalie, ladies ‘as new’ winter coat