posted May 9, 2012, 7:32 AM by Vickery Place
Visitors will enjoy show kites, soaring stunt kites, hot air balloons, beautiful birds and live music
DALLAS - For the second year, Dallas will host its one-of-a-kind event to celebrate the power of wind. The Reliant Trinity River Wind Festival will feature all things wind-related
at the Trinity River floodway at Riverfront Boulevard and Commerce
Street from 12:00 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, May 12. Attendees are invited
to bring their own kite or pinwheel or any other wind-powered
items. Show kites will line the airway with spectacular colors and
shapes, and weather permitting, hang gliders will take to the sky and
hot air balloons will be inflated. All events and activities are free.
Festival highlights include:
- Show kite teams from the Southwest with giant inflatable kites, stunt kites and bol races for the kids
- Kids Zone featuring bounce houses, balloon art making clowns and face painters
- Storm School: CBS 11 Chief Meteorologist Larry Mowry
- Dallas Zoo Animal Outreach
- Blackland Prairie Raptor Center rehabilitated birds
- Second Spin Rescue Disc Dogs perform at 2 and 3:45 p.m.
- Wildflower Planting at 3:00 p.m.
- Reliant Smart Home Tour and kite giveaway
- Hot air balloons on exhibit
- Sprint cell phone recycling
- University of Texas at Arlington Ultimate Frisbee exhibition
- Texas A & M Weather Station
- North Texas Hang/Paragliding Association low-level flight demonstrations
- Dallas Wind Symphony outdoor performance at 5 p.m.
- City council, elected officials and major sponsors to speak during program
- Food and gift vendors